Bio-Berberine® | Advanced
High potency 100% pure berberine extract
Berberine sits at the top of the list of most effective botanicals, alongside resveratrol, green tea (EGCG), curcumin and sulforaphane, that have more than one beneficial effect in the body.
Berberine has fast become one of the most researched plant extracts and remains in the scientific spotlight, supported by 4 500 published studies.
In every capsule of Bio-Berberine® Complex, the benefits of berberine are further enhanced by 25 mg of Origine 8® (a liposome-infused, polyphenol-rich green tea extract) and 25 ug chromium (an essential trace mineral that may improve insulin sensitivity and enhance protein, carbohydrate and lipid metabolism). This powerful formula has been designed with metabolic syndrome in mind.
People with metabolic syndrome may have raised levels of blood glucose, insulin and cholesterol, oxidative stress (too many oxidants and not enough antioxidants to neutralise them) and inflammation, and gut dysbiosis (imbalance of good and bad organisms in the gut). All these can lead to less energy, reduced quality of life, shorter lifespan, pain, and a variety of health risks.
Data is showing that people who get COVID have poorer outcomes if they have comorbidities such as diabetes, excess weight, raised oxidative stress and inflammation.
Berberine has been added to The 4 Phases of COVID protocol because it can help reduce blood sugar levels, increase insulin sensitivity, reduce oxidative stress and inflammation, and thus aid weight loss.
If you have any of the above comorbidities, the COVID Prevention Phase is the best place to address these issues.
Knowing more about your DNA can play a powerful role in making more personalised nutrition, environment and lifestyle choices.
- Supports glucose metabolism and healthy blood sugar levels
- Increases insulin sensitivity by cells
- Cardiovascular health: helps reduce cholesterol levels
- Gastrointestinal health: helps reduce populations of certain key harmful gut pathogens so beneficial gut organisms can flourish.
- A healthy gut is needed for stable blood sugar levels, healthy cholesterol levels, proper digestion and absorption of nutrients, mood balance, and to complete the detoxification of toxins and excess estrogen.
- High potency 100% pure berberine extract
- Contains 60 capsules each of which has 500mgs of pure extract
- One of the most studied natural extracts with over 4500 published studies and
- 100% natural
- Made organically and free of any synthetics, pesticides or herbicides
- No artificial additives, flavours or preservatives
- Allergen Advice: contains no known allergens
- Suitable for vegetarians and vegans
- Eco-friendly packaging
- Sustainable production and harvesting (powered by certified green solar energy)
- Scientifically developed and validated through human clinical trials
- State-of-the-art manufacturing under GMP standards
- Tested purity and quality
You can find the ingredients list on the box image above.
You can find how to take Berberine on the box image above.
- Read ingredients, dosages and cautions carefully.
- Do not exceed recommended dosages unless on the advice of a healthcare provider.
- If you are on medication, taking nutritional supplements, suffering from any medical condition, pregnant, or breastfeeding, consult your healthcare practitioner before starting any new food, supplement or remedy.
- Do not stop prescribed medication without consulting your healthcare practitioner.
- Report any new or strange symptoms to your healthcare practitioner to ensure appropriate medical care.
- Do not use this product if you are allergic to any of the ingredients.
- Due to the unique nature of each individual person’s health, specific results cannot be guaranteed and may vary from person to person.
- The product information provided is for educational purposes and is not intended as either diagnosis or treatment of any disease, nor does it replace professional medical advice.
- This medicine is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure of prevent any disease.
- Keep out of the reach of children.
- Store in a cool (below 25°c), dry place.
Berberine is no way new, its history of use dating as far
back as 3000 years where it was used in Chinese traditional and Ayurvedic medicine.
Berberine may support healthy weight management as part of a balanced diet and healthy lifestyle plan.
Whilst Berberine has a series of benefits, one of this important plant extract’s most significant benefits pertains to conditions related to metabolic syndrome.
This is because Berberine is one of the few compounds known to activate AMPK, which is an enzyme in the body’s cells. It’s sometimes called a “metabolic master switch” because it plays an important role in regulating metabolism.
BLOOD SUGAR BALANCE
The unique way in which berberine acts makes it a useful nature-based option for supporting blood sugar balance.
While Berberine has been shown to be as effective as Metformin in lowering blood sugar levels, Berberine has addition beneficial effects including helping to lower cholesterol and blood pressure, as well as reducing the overgrowth of harmful pathogens in the gut which in turn helps detox via the gut.
Both Berberine and Metformin reduced food intake, body weight, and blood glucose and HbA1c levels. Both treatments effectively restored the intestinal SCFA content, reduced the level of serum LPS, relieved intestinal inflammation, and repaired intestinal barrier structure. Intervention with Metformin or Berberine modified the gut microbiome in db/db mice, increasing the number of SCFA-producing bacteria (e.g., Butyricimonas, Coprococcus, Ruminococcus) and reducing opportunistic pathogens (e.g., Prevotella, Proteus). An increased abundance of other probiotics including Lactobacillus and Akkermansia was also observed. Berberine and Metformin can modulate the composition of the gut microbiome and reduce body weight, blood glucose levels, and intestinal inflammation in db/db mice, which demonstrates their effectiveness in the reduction of diabetic complications in this model.
As you know, having comorbidities such as diabetes increase your risk of a poorer outcome if you get COVID. Raised blood sugar and insulin levels predispose a person to diabetes. The Prevention Phases of COVID is the time to work on balancing your blood sugar and insulin levels. Berberine can be useful if used as part of a balanced diet and healthy lifestyle plan.
Berberine as Th1 immune cell support in COVID
(Hyrastis canadensis, Coptidis Chinensis) - Berberine has been shown to have activity across a broad range of viruses.273-280
Berberine has activity against RSV via upregulation of type 1 interferons.281
Type 1 interferons are key activators of NK cells and play a central role in antiviral immunity.282,283
The anti-inflammatory,284-286 cardioprotective,285,287 and antifungal effects of berberine have also been reviewed.288
One mechanism by which berberine downregulates inflammation is through activation of AMP kinase (AMPK).289
AMPK is a known activator of SIRT2,290 a known inhibitor of NLRP3 inflammasome assembly.23
Other mechanisms of berberine inhibition of NLRP3 have also been described.291-293
Berberine-induced AMPK inhibits IL-6-induced inflammation in human liver cells by inhibiting STAT3, the signal transduction factor required for Th17 cell differentiation.294
Berberine promotes the Th1 cytokines IL-12 and IFNγ and inhibits the Th2 cytokine IL-4.295-297
Berberine also has potential advantages in impacting clotting. Hypoxia inducible factor 1 alpha (HIF1α) has been described as a promoter of thrombosis.298-300
As the name implies, HIF1α is upregulated by tissue hypoxia. With poor oxygenation, higher HIF1α levels will drive more thrombus formation. As described before, neutrophil NETs offer an additional base material for clot formation.60
The combination of these factors may be a driving force in the extensive pulmonary microvascular damage seen in severe manifestations of COVID-19. Berberine has been shown to downregulate HIF1α.301-305
In a human trial with 130 acute coronary syndrome subjects receiving percutaneous coronary intervention, those receiving 300 mg of berberine TID for 30 days had significant reductions in matrix metalloproteinase (MMP)-9, intercellular adhesion molecule (ICAM)-1, vascular cell adhesion molecule (VCAM)-1, C-reactive protein, IL-6 and monocyte chemoattractant protein-1 (MCP-1), all of which are inflammatory signaling molecules.306
Goldenseal is often used because its high concentration of berberine. In a study examining the inhibition of influenza A by berberine, goldenseal at higher dosages was found to be effective at inhibiting both growth of influenza A and production of TNFα and PGE2.307
It is noteworthy that curcumin, resveratrol, quercetin, and berberine have all been shown to promote AMPK.374
AMPK is a promoter of SIRT2, also known to inhibit NLRP3 inflammasome assembly.23
- Should you have a pre-existing medical condition, consult with a professional before using Berberine.
- Berberine may affect medications metabolized by CYP3A
- Berberine may decrease metabolism of cyclosportin
- Research trials [there are many - here is just 1] have that Berberine can increase insulin senstivity and lower blood glucose levels as effectively as Metformin. Thus, if you are taking Metformin to lower raised blood glucose levels, please check with your doctor before starting Berberine as taking both might result in levels of blood glucose that are below normal.
research for cautions
1. Berberine Lowers Blood Glucose in Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus Patients Through Increasing Insulin Receptor Expression
- DOI: 10.1016/j.metabol.2009.07.029
2. Effects of Berberine and Metformin on Intestinal Inflammation and Gut Microbiome Composition in db/db Mice